Sunday, July 29, 2007

Kitty, kitty

Saturday during our morning walk, Lady and I found 2 itsy-bitsy kittens meowing and dirty on the side of the dirt road. One is black and white, the other is all grey, and both are females. The black and white one has her eyes open and the other does not yet – so they are very young. I don’t know if someone dropped them off or if they were abandoned by the mother, but they are here now.

I researched what to do on the Internet and then bought an electric heating pad, a small feeding bottle with nipple and some kitten milk replacement formula. They’re to be fed every 2-3 hours around the clock. They do not have enough suck power to get milk from the bottle, so I am feeding them with a syringe. Frankly, they’re not too impressed with having their mouths pried open but they’re getting the hang of it.

Our housecat Tiger has not taken too kindly to them. I’m sure instinct tells him that if their mother is not around to protect them, they should be killed. I put the kitties, along with their towel and heating pad in the bathtub and closed the bathroom door.

In a week or so they can go longer stretches between feedings and before I know it they’ll be eating solid food and using a litter box. A girlfriend mentioned she would be cat shopping as soon as she moved into her new place. I called her yesterday and she was in the process of moving then. If she decides not to take them, they can always stay here. A farm can almost always use another (neutered) cat.

E-I-E-I-O

No comments: