Saturday, July 02, 2005

In stitches!

To add a bit of excitement and remind me how blessed my life is, I accidently stabbed my left forearm with new kitchen shears last night and needed to have Ian rush me to Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC) for stitches! Like 4 or 5 (I forgot to ask). My girlfriend Sandy had come by about 9 p.m. to say hello and to help us put the house together (she loves doing this stuff and will come back today to do more). I was helping her take plastic wrap off of our mattress and box spring when the shears slipped -- slice -- it was just that quick. It looked a lot worse than it was ... I'll spare you the gory details LOL. HCMC is only minutes away and is the regional trauma center. I got excellent service and nothing hurt. Ian never left my side, despite my asking him several times to wash the blood that had gotten on him. Sandy stayed behind at the house and put the rest of the house together and watched TV. We called at regular intervals with updates. Gee whiz, we were REALLY tired when we got home just after midnight. While I drove Sandy home Ian prepared salmon and tossed salad for our much delayed dinner.Yum!

I'm fine and slept well. The site is a bit tender and stitches must come out in a week or 10 days. I told HCMC I would not be returning for that as I have friends and family who are medically trained and surely someone will volunteer. When the discharging ER guy heard this he smiled and gave me a sterile sutures removal kit.

We are all wired with cable TV and Internet with phones working too. I need to program the voice mail, but otherwise we're good. We've still got some running around to do today - more errands and last things to buy, so best get to it.

Alexandra and Peter arrive tomorrow evening and we are really looking forward to seeing them.

No comments: